TIME's Mentoring Program has a number of varied benefits, however the key purpose is to develop and retain leadership potential with a view to enhancing career development and satisfaction.
A mentor should offer a range of (non-conflicting) business-skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee.
Sharing their wisdom and support creates opportunities that may not otherwise be available to the Mentee. This includes increased visibility and possible access to networks (part of the essential communication skills) including networking with other Mentees.
As with all good mentoring programmes, there is a structure and framework within which mentors operate to challenge and inspire mentees whilst holding them accountable to their self determined goals.
A mentor will hold their Mentee accountable and will offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pine
Pointing out behaviours that will inhibit the progress of the Mentee is also part of the mentor’s role along with helping to build their self-confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.
Prospective Mentors complete an Application Form/Expression of Interest which is submitted to the TIME Committee for appraisal and approval.
Benefits to the Industry and to an organisation
- Retention and development of talented staff
- Cost effective way of developing employees’ skills
- Developing potential leaders with good management and organisational knowledge
- Utilisation and advancement of staff within an organisation and the Industry
- Increased productivity from staff who feel motivated and supported
OUTCOMES from the Program for Mentors
- The opportunity to share knowledge and experience and assist in the development of another travel industry professional
- Enable another professional to reach their goals
- Enhance their own communication and leadership skills
- Ensuring the next generation of travel industry leaders and entrepreneurs are nurtured, encouraged and ambitious to succeed
- Knowledge transfer of value to individuals, the industry and to self
To take the next step in becoming a Mentor click here to download the Mentor Expression of Interest form.